The Problems Cockroaches Can Cause In Your Sacramento Home
October 7, 2020
If you've ever seen a cockroach, you know that they are rather disgusting and off-putting. You also probably realize that cockroaches are a difficult and invasive pest that can cause a lot of problems. However, cockroaches are often worse than you might think.
They are one of the more dangerous pests in the Sacramento area because of their ability to transmit diseases to humans. Cockroaches are known to spread around 35 different illnesses, and some of these can be quite serious, including salmonella and gastroenteritis. They carry so many diseases because they tend to hang out in places such as sewage, garbage, and even in and around plumbing.
In Sacramento, there are a few common cockroach species. This simple guide will help you tell them apart.
- American cockroach: This species is reddish-brown and larger than most others in the area. They have almost a greasy sheen to them and long antennae. They can get to be about three inches long.
- German cockroach: German cockroaches can be anywhere from tan to dark brown, but the one characteristic that makes them stand out is the two parallel stripes that run behind their heads.
- Oriental cockroach: These cockroaches are sometimes called black beetles or water bugs because of their beetle-like appearance. They are a shiny, jet black color.
- Brown-banded cockroach: This species is on the smaller end as they only grow to around a half an inch long. They are tan or light brown, and their wings have light brown markings.
Why Do Cockroaches Come Inside Your Home?
Cockroaches can get into a home in many ways. They can spread from your neighbors house, come in from outside on your own property, or they can also be brought in on secondhand items or even in cardboard boxes.
The two main reasons why cockroaches are attracted to your home are moisture issues and access to food sources. As cockroaches thrive in damp, dark areas near food, you'll often find them in kitchens and bathrooms.
To summarize, these are the main reasons why cockroaches would find your Sacramento home appealing:
- Excess moisture issues caused by leaky plumbing
- Lack of ventilation, especially in the kitchen or bathrooms.
- Food and drink spills
- Dirty dishes left in the sink
- Overflowing garbage
- Bathrooms and kitchens that aren't very clean
Why Are Cockroaches So Hard To Remove?
As mentioned above, cockroaches can transmit many diseases that are dangerous to humans. Along with these concerns, cockroaches can also contaminate food and food prep areas and cause allergic reactions and asthma attacks.
Because of these risks, many homeowners try to get rid of cockroaches right away with do-it-yourself methods. These options rarely work because cockroaches are extremely hard to eliminate. They can reproduce quickly and are also resistant to many pesticides.
What To Do If You Have Cockroaches
If you even suspect you could have a cockroach infestation, the best way to protect your Sacramento home from these dangerous, disease-filled bugs is to reach out to the experts at Neighborly Pest Management. With over 40 years of pest control experience, our certified professionals can remove cockroach infestations and keep these nasty insects from returning. To learn more about our cockroach control services, or to request a free inspection, call or message us today.