What Sacramento Pest Experts Want You To Know About Effective Cockroach Control
July 8, 2020
Have you ever flipped a light switch on late at night only to find a small shadow dart under an object nearby? Sometimes it happens so fast you can’t tell what it was. Was it an insect? Perhaps it was a tiny ghost. Most likely it was a cockroach you saw. If this is the case, you could be in serious trouble. As pests go, cockroaches are one of the worst you can have inside your home. Fortunately, we are here today to show you ways you can keep these unwanted house guests out. To help do this, here is everything Sacramento pest experts at Neighborly Pest Management want you to know about effective cockroach control.
Common Cockroaches Around Sacramento
A few species of cockroach live here in Sacramento, of these species, the German cockroach is the one you are most likely to find inside your home. Cockroaches are small, flat, 6 legged pests, with a pair of long antennae. German cockroaches, in particular, can be identified by their light brown bodies and the two darker parallel lines present just behind their head.
Cockroaches Aren’t Just Dirty, They’re Dangerous
It is common knowledge that cockroaches are dirty pests. This makes sense seeing as their main job is to help break down decomposing organic matter. It is not uncommon to find roaches crawling over trash, through fecal matter, and over animal carcasses. As one can assume, this behavior can lead to some fairly serious problems. For one, dead and decaying organisms tend to be filled with dangerous diseases and parasites. These sickness vectors are often picked up by cockroaches and spread throughout the homes they have infested. Just a few dangerous infectious diseases cockroaches can spread include salmonellosis, typhoid fever, dysentery, plague, and cholera.
In addition to spreading dangerous disease, a cockroach's fecal matter, urine, and shed skin are also allergens that can contribute to asthma attacks as well as allergic reactions. The more severe cockroach infestations become, the more of a problem this will become.
The Best Way To Combat Roaches
Cockroaches love clutter and filth. The best thing you can do to combat cockroaches around your home is to clean, clean, and clean some more. Keep in mind that cockroaches can get beneath furniture and large appliances, so make sure to clean in these areas as well. To take cockroach prevention to the next level, here are some other things our experts recommend.
- Make sure all of your trash cans are equipped with tight-fitting lids.
- Check door sweeps, weather stripping, and window/door screens around your home and make sure they are all in good order.
- Fill in gaps, cracks, and holes in your home’s exterior foundation using a caulking gun or liquid cement.
- Place fine metal screens over vents leading into your home.
- Check used furniture for hidden roaches and/or roach eggs before bringing it indoors.
- Reduce clutter around your home and straighten up storage spaces.
- Store leftover foods and beverages inside airtight containers.
- Pick up and clean out your pet’s food and water bowls after they are done with them.
- Address moisture problems around your home by fixing leaky pipes, repairing broken gutters, and using a dehumidifier.
The Final Step To Effective Cockroach Control
If you don’t have the time or energy to deal with cockroaches on your own, your best solution is high-quality cockroach control. At Neighborly Pest Management, we understand what it takes to properly eliminate and keep out unwanted roaches. We would be happy to share our success dealing with pests with you and your home.
Contact us today to schedule a thorough inspection of your Sacramento home.