The Secret To Keeping Ants Out Of Your Roseville Property
March 26, 2021
Ants are common pests that invade homes here in the Roseville area. Many species of common household ants can pose a potential healths risk to people by spreading E-coli, shigella, and other serious contagions. While they aren’t necessarily direct harms to you, other species like carpenter ants can create significant property damage. As with most pests, ants will make their way indoors when seeking food, water, or shelter.
Common Ants Found In Roseville
- Argentine ants: They range in color from light to dark brown, are attracted to sugar, and tend to develop massive colonies.
Odorous House Ants: These ants are brown or black and if stepped on will generate an unpleasant odor.
- Pavement ants: This small dark-colored ant is commonly seen outdoors on sidewalks or in the grass; however, it will move indoors in search of food.
- Carpenter ants: Similar to termites, carpenter ants pose a risk of creating structural damage to a home as they burrow through the wood. Some even have wings and swarm like termites.
- Pharaoh ants: These are small and have a tan or yellow color. Pharaoh ants can reproduce very rapidly and can spread salmonellosis, clostridium, and various other health risks.
- Fire ants: They are distinguished by a bright red color and capable of stinging humans and animals that can create pain and discomfort. When outdoors, their nests are visible as large mounds.
Best Practices To Prevent Ants
Because of their extremely small size, ants are capable of entering homes through tiny openings. Seal any cracks that exist within the foundation of the home or near the roofline area. Move gardens away from the home’s exterior and keep vegetation trimmed back. Ants are likely to enter the home where soil or grass is in direct contact with the foundation, so create a barrier of stone or a similar material.
Consistent indoor house cleaning is critical for preventing ants. Spills should be promptly and thoroughly cleaned up, countertops wiped down, and floors swept, particularly in kitchen areas. Keep pantry items and other types of food in strong containers that are sealed. Trash cans should have lids that close firmly and the bags taken outside regularly.
Ants may also be attracted to sources of water. Leaking pipes and dripping faucets should be repaired promptly. Carpenter ants are attracted to moist wood and any wood with significant water damage should be removed. Wood that is not deeply penetrated with water can benefit from the use of a dehumidifier.
The Benefits Of Contacting A Professional Exterminator
Some property owners attempt to take short cuts when faced with intrusions from ants or other troublesome pests. Many times, they will purchase store-bought sprays, foams, baiting kits, and other “DIY solutions” that are insufficient for eradicating serious infestations. Contacting a licensed professional is the best course of action for eliminating these pests efficiently and safely.
Leading Provider Of Pest Control Services In Roseville
The experienced pest control technicians with Neighborly Pest Management have been providing high-quality service for customers in the Roseville area for many years now. Part of our success is a commitment to a truly comprehensive three-step approach consisting of a thorough onsite inspection, a customized treatment plan, and proper follow-up.
Our team is also focused on the safety of our customers and our responsibility to care for the local environment. For these reasons, we use the latest organic products that are eco-friendly. Contact us today for a no-obligation inspection and estimate.