If you’re anything like many people, you mostly picture the Hollywood sign, celebrities, sunshine, and beaches when you think of California. The last thing that comes to mind is rodents. Not to be the bearer of bad news, but California is not all “lights, camera, action!” Sacramento is a city within the Golden State that attracts not only your favorite celebs but also a significant attractor of rodents!
Rodents are animals that can elicit a wide range of emotions in people. Some adore these hairy creatures and even keep them as pets, while others find them repulsive and frightening. Although certain species of rodents are suitable for keeping as pets, the rodents that find their way onto your property are not cute and harmless; they're pretty destructive. Learn how to keep rodents out of your home or business in Sacramento, California, because they can be highly troublesome and even dangerous pests.
Mice and rats are the two most common rodents found in homes throughout the region. Even though they are different species, there are a lot of similarities between them, including how they behave and their appearance. Mice and rats have the potential to cause harm to your health as well as damage your property. They can also be a challenge to remove. While rodent infestations are pretty common in Sacramento, it is highly uncommon to have problems with both simultaneously.
If you're experiencing rodent problems of this magnitude, contacting your local Sacramento pest control should be your top priority.
About The Rodents In Sacramento
When it comes to California rodents, two species of rats cause problems for homeowners in Sacramento: the Norway rat and the roof rat. It is easy to recognize a Norway rat because of the clumsy manner in which it moves along the ground. Roof rats favor living at higher elevations than other types of rats do. As a result, you can find them on rooftops and attics, which is also how they got their names.
Because of the COVID lockdowns that have taken place over the past two years worldwide, Sacramento has seen a considerable increase in the number of rat infestations.
What is the cause? Rats that had previously found food supplies in restaurant dumpsters now have to search for food in other areas, which has driven them further into the suburbs, housing complexes, and residential areas. It is more important than ever to have access to the necessary rodent-fighting experts to protect homes and families throughout the state. Neighborly Pest Management is here to do just that.
How Rodents Create Damage And Spread Disease
Chipmunks, beavers, squirrels, chipmunks, beavers, prairie dogs, rats, and mice are among the many rodent species. Rodents native to the United States are critical for the health of grasslands and forests and a significant food source for many predators and scavengers, such as wolves, hawks, bobcats, and foxes. However, some rodents, such as the Norway rat and roof rat, infest homes, endanger public health, and damage property. It is critical to contact your local Sacramento pest control if you discover these pests in your house or place of business.:
Rats and mice damage property and are among the most destructive pests because of the havoc they cause inside your home or business. Rats and mice create nests from any material rats and mice have access to, which means they'll rip through various items on your property as they see fit. The most harmful aspect of rats is their need to chew. Rats never stop chewing or gnawing on things because their incisors never stop growing, resulting in damaged electrical cables and wires, which can lead to a fire hazard. The longer rodents reside in your home, the longer you wait to remove them professionally, and the more dangerous they become inside your home or business.
People are most afraid of rodents because of the diseases they carry, and they have the potential to spread. The diseases they carry can be spread directly through human contact with their saliva, urine, droppings, or bites or indirectly by the fleas and ticks they carry. Some diseases rodents carry are:
- Lyme Disease: Ticks spread this disease, which mice and rats often carry. It can have long-term effects if not treated promptly.
- Hantavirus: The symptoms of this disease range from fever and chills to aches and pains.
- Plague: This disease is historic as it infected fleas transported by rats and mice from 1346 to 1352, causing the bacterial infection bubonic plague. Even though this occurred centuries ago, the sickness can still be transmitted today. Thankfully, antibiotics treat it. However, eliminating the risk with rodent control will always be the best safety measure.
- Salmonella: Perhaps this is the most common bacteria spread by mice and rats, which also causes food poisoning.
Many previously listed symptoms associated with the diseases and viruses are reminiscent of other flu and viruses. You should seek medical treatment immediately if you notice any of these symptoms, especially if you’ve come in contact with a rodent.
Five Eco-Friendly Rodent Exclusion Tips For Around The Property
While you may enjoy hosting guests, rodents are guests you'd rather not have in your home. In addition to causing damage to your property, rodents carry diseases and infections that might endanger your family's health. The good news is that eliminating your rodent problem isn't a difficult task. Plus, you can do it in an eco-friendly way. Follow these five environmentally-friendly exclusion tips:
- Seal entry points: Use caulk or weatherstripping to patch up small gaps in your doorways, foundation, and siding to keep rodents out. To discourage entry without limiting airflow, plug vent openings with steel wool and cover holes with duct tape. Mice cannot chew through steel wool, which will naturally deter them.
- Use essential oils: Rodents dislike strong-smelling oils like peppermint and clove oil. Put the essential oil of your choice on cotton balls and place them in areas where you've seen rodent activity, such as drawers, cabinets, and under sinks, for best results.
- Get a Cat: One of the best mouse deterrents for mouse or rat removal is cats. If you like cats and don't have one, adopt one to reduce your mouse and rat population. If your neighborhood doesn't allow cats, reach out to a friend who has a cat and ask if you can have some of their used kitty litter to place at your front and back doors. The smell of cat urine repulses rodents. You can also get pure ammonia and soak cotton balls in the solution, as it repels mice and rats because it smells similar to a predator's urine. Just be sure to place the cotton balls in a rodent-friendly area where pets or children can't access them.
- Turn to sound: Ultrasonic devices can deter rodents. These deterrent tools are also safe for children, pets, and other animals. Place them wherever you've seen mouse activity. You can find these devices at your local hardware store.
- Turn to the pros: Contact Neighborly Pest Management if there are rodents on your property. We will assist in locating their nesting and food cache areas, identifying the entry points, and removing them from your property without causing any more harm than they already have. Additionally, we'll assist you in locating the source of the infestation so you can prevent all rodents from returning in the future.
Neighborly Pest Management assists residential and commercial customers in Sacramento and the surrounding area in managing and controlling rodent populations. We offer traditional and organic treatment options to keep your property safe, allowing you to reclaim your space quickly and restore your peace of mind.
Sacramento's Secret Weapon To Complete Rodent Control
Neighborly Pest Management offers residential and commercial pest control services to clients in Sacramento, California, and surrounding areas. We are proud to be a locally-owned and family-operated company that can offer solutions to all pest infestation levels, from large office buildings and warehouses to the smallest of homes.
Our team of dedicated pest professionals has the knowledge, skill, and experience to eliminate all your rodent problems while preventing future ones from happening. We stand firmly on this statement, as we have a service-back guarantee and re-treat your property free of charge if pests return after our initial treatment. We are the most effective protection you have against unwanted rodents.
To restore and maintain a rodent-free Sacramento property, contact Neighborly Pest Management to schedule your inspection.